August 31, 2014
8:00 am - 11:00 am
Ocean Swim + Run: Group team swim + a clinic for those new to ocean swimming. Transition to a run along the beach and paths.
Ocean Swim + Clinic Crystal Cove State Beach, Reef Point Entrance
*This training is open to TriLaVie & Swim Velocity members only. This is NOT a public clinic.
SPECIAL NOTE: Crystal Cove/Reef Point requires a $15 entry fee or State Beach Parking Pass. For this reason, we like to do carpooling from a nearby location. If you can drive others or need a ride, email Martha with your requests and we'll organize the groups.
START TIME AT THE BEACH is 8am SHARP! Plan your travel, set-up, carpooling around this start time.
- Experienced Swimmers: Brief overview of open water swim techniques, practice with ins and outs, swim 1/2 mile Pacific Coast Triathlon Route.
- wave entry and exits with brief swimming around buoys
- New Open Water Swimmers: finding your rhythmic breathing
- sighting (swimming straight toward your goal!)
- managing panic and discomfort
Swimmers must be water-safe and able to do a half-mile (800 yards) comfortably in a pool. Please! We know you are excited to get into the ocean but if you are not prepared to swim 1/2 mile, you will not gain good confidence from your experience.
- Wetsuit (mandatory). Triathlon specific is best, but a surf suit will do. To rent or purchase, we recommend TriZone (www.tri-zone.com) for the largest selection, best prices and customer service.
- Goggles, swim cap, bathing suit or tri-suit, towel, shower supplies, flip flops
- Lawn chair for your comfort during the lecture (or to stay and enjoy the beach!)
- Water and a light snack
- Dry clothes and extra towels
Contact TriLaVie Founder and Head Coach Martha 949-374-2096
Crystal Cove State Beach has several entrances. Please look carefully for the REEF POINT entrance on the ocean side of PCH. It is across from the Crystal Cove Promenade shopping center.